I didn’t post salad recipes for a while now, so wanted to come up with something special this time.
I chose salad made of surimi crab sticks mixed with tender pickled mushrooms, grated apple, fresh dill and parsley and dressed with ground black pepper and a bit of mayo.
This mix may seem unusual (especially here in US), however it is very popular in post-USSR countries. You can find it under name “Salad Anshlag” in menus.
Some people use boiled mushrooms for this recipe, however I prefer mushrooms pickled following this recipe: they are very easy to do and are less plain than just boiled; but this is a matter of preference.
- 8 oz surimi crab sticks
- 1 pint jar of pickled mushrooms
- 1-2 apples
- 3-4 eggs
- 3-4 branches of green onions
- Fresh dill to taste
- Fresh green parsley to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: boil eggs on hard, rinse greens, if you don’t like pickled mushrooms they can be replaced with 1lb of fresh mushrooms cleaned and boiled in slightly salted water:
- Dice crab sticks, put into big bowl:
- Drain liquid from mushrooms, slice big into halves or quarters, add to the salad bowl:
- Peel skin from apple and grate it on big slots, discard seeds:
- Chop hard boiled eggs:
- Add chopped onions:
- And chopped greens (dill and parsley):
- Generously season with freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste:
- Add mayo to taste and mix, cover with plastic wrap and put to fridge for an hour before serving:
- Serve as appetizer before main meal or as a side dish: