This is my recipe for so called Polish Cucumber salad: simple salad with cucumbers, fresh dill and marinated onions.
Marinating onions makes them less bitter and removes most of that onion breath smell therefore this salad is great for parties, cookouts and such.
I am using balsamic vinegar and sour cream as dressing here. If you like, you can replace vinegar with lemon juice, but I somehow like vinegar better.
- 1 big cucumber or few smaller ones
- Bunch of fresh dill
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (white or dark)
- 3-4 tablespoons of sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Peel and chop onion, move to a small bowl:
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste:
- Pour vinegar in:
- Mix everything and set the bowl aside for 15-20 mins to marinate:
- Then remove skin from cucumber, and slice it into thin circles (I like them very thin, but you can vary this to your liking):You can cut cucumber with a knife, but I usually use my mandoline with cut resistant kitchen gloves to keep hands safe for that:
- Add chopped dill:
- And marinated onions (if you don’t like taste of vinegar for some reason, just scoop onions from the bowl and leave all excess vinegar out):
- Add sour cream:
- Mix everything, add more salt and pepper if you like:
- And serve right away: