Broccoli is one of vegetables I never tried before we came to US. Amongst other foods prepared of broccoli, fresh broccoli salads are pretty popular here.
And I think variation with fresh broccoli, onions, raisins, sunflower seeds and bacon crumbles is the most popular one.
If you wish to make salad lighter skip the bacon (obvious decision) and use lighter mayo.
- 1lb of broccoli crowns
- 1/2 red onion (or 1/3 of a big one)
- 5-6 strips of bacon (about 5oz)
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of roasted sunflower seeds, peeled and unsalted
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of mayo
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Pour hot boiled water over raisins and set them aside:
- Wash broccoli, separate florets, slice these into smaller pieces, move to a mixing bowl; grate remaining broccoli stalks on big slots of the grater to the same bowl:
- Peel and chop onion, add to the bowl:
- Drain liquid from raisins, add them to the bowl:
To prepare dressing mix mayo, sugar and balsamic vinegar in a mixing bowl:
- Pour dressing to the bowl:
- Mix good, cover bowl with a plastic wrap or a lid and put it to fridge for about 2 hours:
- Arrange bacon strips in a pan and cook them in the stove until desired crispness (remove excessive grease if needed), then get bacon out of the stove, and arrange on a plate laid with paper towels to cool down and dry:
- Mix sunflower seeds in right before serving the salad: echoua.com
- As well as crumbled bacon:
- Mix well, then fresh broccoli salad with raisins, sunflower seeds and bacon is ready: