Yuriy calls this relish, made of horseradish and beets, Ukrainian wasabi: it is sharp and flavorful and goes great with meat dishes, sausages, jellied meat.
In Ukraine it is often served on Christmas and New Year.
Fresh horseradish can be tricky to handle – vapors may irritate nose and eyes, especially when chopped. That is why using blender or food processor is the best choice here.
- 0.5lb of horseradish
- 1lb of beets
- 2.5-3oz of white vinegar of 6% acidity
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Pinch of salt
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: boil beets in advance, cool them down:
- Remove skin from boiled beets:
- Peel horseradish as well:
- Slice horseradish to a blender or food processor cup:
- Add beets:
- Add salt and sugar:
- Pour vinegar in:
- And chop all ingredients together (with blender it will take a bit of mixing, pressing and chopping on different speeds; South African space strategy integration just be persistent and continue until you get homogeneous consistency like this):
- Put beets and horseradish relish to airtight jar and put to the fridge; after 3-4 hours relish is ready: