This is nice looking dish which can be served as either a main entree, a side dish, or an appetizer.
It contains no meat, just eggplant, bell pepper, tomatoes, sour cream and cheese.
Eggplant roasted this way looks festive (and will for sure fit nicely on a holiday table), and it is also pretty easy to do.
One medium size eggplant will produce 2-3 servings.
- 1 eggplant
- Half of bell pepper
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1.5 cups of sour cream
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- Green parsley for garnishing
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Using big knife carefully slice eggplant lengthwise into stripes about ½ inch thick all the way to the stem, but keep them on the stem (don’t slice it off) to keep eggplant slices together:
- Salt each eggplant slice from both sides and set eggplant aside in a bowl, after some time it will produce juices, you can discard them:
- Now let’s prepare sauce. Place sour cream to a mixing bowl:
- Add shredded cheese:
- Peel and press garlic:
- And mix:
- Slice bell pepper in half, remove stem and seeds and slice it into thin stripes. Slice tomatoes into the same thin circles too:
- Turn oven to warm it up to 430F. Rinse salt and juice produced off eggplant. Carefully pat it dry from inside and out with paper towel and arrange in a baking pan as pictured on the photo:
- Arrange 3-4 stripes of bell pepper in between 2 eggplant pieces:
- Then cover them with layer of tomato circles:
- And repeat the same for rest of eggplant:
- Generously cover eggplant stuffed with vegetables with sour cream and cheese sauce (you can get some of it in between layers as well):
- Then put baking pan to the warmed up oven for 30 mins (or until eggplant is soft when you pierce it with a toothpick around stem area), you will get something like this:
- Carefully move eggplant to a plate, garnish with chopped green parsley and serve warm or cooled down: