Eggplants fried in flour and egg coating are good on their own as a no-meat main course, appetizer or snack. But they can also be served as a side dish.
Tomato sauce with basil and garlic is a good addition to fried eggplants; it adds a bit of spiciness to plain taste of eggplants.
And parmesan goes great with that combination too.
- 2 medium size eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 table spoons of all purpose flour
- Ground parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: choose dark ripe eggplants and sweet ripe tomatoes:
- Slice eggplants into circles about ⅓ of inch thick, powder each slice generously with salt from both sides, put to the bowl and set aside for 15-20 mins (this will drain a bit of juices from eggplants as well as remove bitterness from the taste):
- Rinse eggplants wold water and pat dry with paper towel (discard juices):
- Pour about 2 tablespoon of all purpose flour to the small bowl, crack eggs into another one and mix them:
- Warm up skillet with 2-3 table spoons of oil over moderate heat. Deep each eggplant slices into flour from both sides:
- Then into eggs from both sides:
- And move to warmed up skillet:
- Fry until golden brown from one side, then flip to another side and fry until soft when pierced with fork:
- Repeat for all eggplant slices:
- Move ready eggplants to a plate:
- In general at this point eggplants are already ready and can be served as side dish:
Or you can continue and add a hint of Mediterranean to this recipe with tomato-basil sauce. I already posted more detailed recipe for this sauce earlier, so will quote here only important pieces.
Start of by blanching tomatoes (you can also remove seeds if tomatoes you use allow that) and chop them in blender:
Warm up sauce pan with a bit of olive oil; add chopped garlic and fry until soft and transparent, then pour pureed tomatoes in, simmer until extra liquid evaporated, salt to taste; remove from burner and add chopped fresh basil:
Sauce is ready!
- Pour warm or cooled down sauce over fried eggplants:
- And season with ground parmesan:
- This dish can be served as snack or appetizer, as well as side dish or a dish on its own: