This is another drink from my childhood. I must say I didn’t like it back when my grandma cooked it. But it changed since then.
I saw rhubarb stalks in store and it reminded me of her, so I decided to share this recipe with you.
If the taste of kompot is a bit too sour for your liking, add a bit more sugar.
- 1.5lb of rhubarb stalks
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- A half of lemon
- 1 gal of water
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Cut top and bottom tips from each of rhubarb stalks, rinse and peel them:
- Slice them into pieces about inch long:
- Bring a pot with one gallon of water to boil, add all sugar, boil for 2 mins:
- Then add sliced rhubarb, adjust heat to light simmer and cook for 10 mins:
- Rinse lemon, if needed scrub it from outside, then slice in circles and add to the pot, cook for 3-4 mins, then turn off the heat, cover pot with a lid and leave kompot for a hour or two to cool down and infuse:
- Set colander in a pot big enough, pour kompot in:
- Remove colander and pour rhubarb kompot to a pitcher:
- Serve at warm or cooled down with ice: