This is a kind of sandwich you would call hawaiian, and I guess that is mostly because of ham and pineapple.
I never been to Hawaii, so can’t tell what’s up with them and pineapple / ham combination. So I just roll with it 🙂
The whole trick here is to assemble sandwiches (by the way, you can do it in advance) and then put them to the oven for the time enough to melt cheese and warm the rest up, just before you are planing to bring sandwiches to the table, and when ready – serve warm.
Ingredients in this recipe is enough to prepare hot 6 sandwiches, if you need more or less just adjust amounts.
- 3 round buns of your choice, I’ve used ciabatta rolls
- 6 pieces of canadian bacon or ham
- 6 wrapped slices of american cheese
- 6 slices of pineapple, fresh or canned
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: if you have chance to get fresh pineapple – use it, if not – canned one will do just fine; I’ve used ukrainian smoked pork meat, in local ukrainian shop it is sold as canadian bacon, in Ukraine we call it “shynka”, if you can’t find such – use ham you like:
- Warm up oven on 350F. Slice buns in halves and spread butter on the cut side:
- Slice meat and put it on buns:
- Slice pineapple (if needed) and put pieces on top of the meat:
- Cover sandwiches with american cheese and move them to baking sheet:
- Put sandwiches to oven (warmed up till 350F) for about 10 mins (or until sandwiches are warm and cheese is melted):
- Then take them out from the oven:
- Serve open sandwiches with ham, pineapple and cheese warm as a snack: