Tomatoes Stuffed with Fresh CheeseJuly 30th, 2011 in Appetizers & Snacks by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 45min
These campari tomatoes stuffed with fresh quark cheese, chopped greens and garlic can be nice addition to any celebration table or a cookout: they look festive, taste good and can be easily eaten with fingers.
If you can’t find quark cheese (sometimes called farmers cheese, or fresh white cheese, or tvorog in russian) it may work with feta cheese, but I like it more with quark.
Seeds and pulp from tomatoes as well as top parts – once removed – are not needed for this recipe. You can discard them, or use in some other dish.
Many kind of stews and soups would only benefit from fresh tomatoes. I used seeds and juice from this batch to marinate a nice ribeye steak.
- 9-10 of campari tomatoes
- 1/2lb of fresh quark cheese (farmers cheese)
- 2 branches of green onion
- Small bunch of fresh dill
- Small bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-2 tablespoons of mayo
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: pick tomatoes of the same size, bigger and firm tomatoes are easier to seed:
Start by seeding tomatoes: if you do angled cuts like I did it will look more festive, however if you want to save some time, you can simply cut top part straight off:
- Repeat for all tomatoes, rub each tomato inside with salt and set on the paper towel upside down for 20-30 mins (while we prepare stuffing):
- In a bowl mash fresh quark cheese with a fork:
- Rinse and chop all greens – onions, dill and parsley:
- Add them to the bowl:
- Peel and mince garlic:
- Add up to 2 tablespoons of mayo (can be replaced with sour cream, if you like); salt to taste and mix:
- Fill each campari tomato with stuffing using a teaspoon:
- And serve as an appetizer or a snack:
Whenever I make this dish, everyone LOVES it. It is also very filling!
It looks fantastic , I am going to make it right now 🙂
Would a mild blue cheese work out for this recipe? (instead of the quark cheese)
I never tried, but if you like blue cheese it might. On other hand you can try fresh sheep cheese, that one will work.
One of my favourite combinations of food. Looks such a beautiful dish with the cute shape you have given to tomatoes. I will definitely try this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely work of passion with us.