How to Prepare Dough for DumplingsApril 10th, 2010 in Tips, Advices & How-to by Julia Volhina
Usually to prepare dumplings you need just 3 things: dough, stuffing and inspiration.
Below you will find simplest recipe for dumplings dough: only water, salt, all purpose flour and some time for kneading are needed to prepare it. And because there is no egg included this dough tastes soft and tender.
As for stuffing it is all up to you, you may cook dumplings filled with one or multiple kinds of minced meat or fish (such as “pelmeni” or “manty”) or “varenyky” / “vareniki” or “pierogi” which are filled with sweet (various berries or fresh cheese with sugar) or savory (sautéed cabbage/ sauerkraut, potatoes, potatoes and mushrooms, potatoes and fresh cheese) stuffing.
And as for inspiration – I can’t really advice you anything here, but since you are reading this post and decided to cook dumplings, I believe you’ve already found yours.
- About 6 cups of all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups of warm water
- 1 tbs of salt
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Dissolve 1 tbs of salt in 1.5 cup of warm water (on the picture below I had 2 cups and that produced a bit too much of dough, so I reduced it for the recipe):
- Pour about 3 cups of all purpose flour to a big deep bowl and pour all salted water:
- Mix flour and water with spatula or fork in circular motions until mixture become homogeneous:
- Then start adding more flour and keep stirring; continue adding flour until mixture should get less liquid (I did mix in about 2 cups of flour that way to get dough to consistency good enough to start kneading):
- Pour a bit of flour on big wooden board (if you don’t have one – just knead on the table which will make it harder to clean, I guess); pour dough over the flour:
Season dough with more flour and start kneading; keep seasoning dough with more flour if it gets sticky:
Here is a video of me kneading the dough, so you can see it in the motion:
- Knead until dough become elastic; then cover it with plastic and leave to settle for 15-20 mins:
- Then flour dough again and knead it several times – after that dough is ready; pick filling of your choice and make some dumplings!
Hello,can I use milk instead of water?
Yes, it will taste great with milk.
Umm this is my first time trying to make dumplings i am confused with what kind of liquid i cook them in
If you are talking about Russian meat dumpling (pelmeni), then you can cook them in either boiling water (and discard water after it) or in clear broth (and then serve them along with the broth as a soup).
Hi please can you give me a smaller recipe as this would be too much for my husband and myself to eat Thankyou
Do you mean you need smaller amount of dough produced? You can either make full potion of dough with listed amount of ingredients and freeze a portion of it for later use, or just divide amount of ingredients in half to prepare smaller portion.
I had a lot of fun making dumplings, but I could only make mini dumplings with the portion if dough I got from the recipe. I managed to make about 30 mini dumplings. Please put how many dumplings and the serving size in recipe. Otherwise, it’s a great addition to kitchen cooking.
Amount of dumplings will depend greatly on how thin you roll the dough, dumpling size and amount of stuffing you put into each dumpling, it will not be much of help if I say 50 or 30…
How many does that make
How many of dumpings? It will definitely depend on how thin you roll the dough and how big the dumplings are.
I got at least 55 fresh cheese dumplings using this batch of dough (I think I had some dough leftover).
How do you make it? Because I do not know these dumplings? Do you fry them in oil? Bake them or? Thank you.
You boil them in water for few minutes, here are few recipes: