Usually to prepare dumplings you need just 3 things: dough, stuffing and inspiration.
Below you will find simplest recipe for dumplings dough: only water, salt, all purpose flour and some time for kneading are needed to prepare it. And because there is no egg included this dough tastes soft and tender.
As for stuffing it is all up to you, you may cook dumplings filled with one or multiple kinds of minced meat or fish (such as “pelmeni” or “manty”) or “varenyky” / “vareniki” or “pierogi” which are filled with sweet (various berries or fresh cheese with sugar) or savory (sautéed cabbage/ sauerkraut, potatoes, potatoes and mushrooms, potatoes and fresh cheese) stuffing.
And as for inspiration – I can’t really advice you anything here, but since you are reading this post and decided to cook dumplings, I believe you’ve already found yours.
- About 6 cups of all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups of warm water
- 1 tbs of salt
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Dissolve 1 tbs of salt in 1.5 cup of warm water (on the picture below I had 2 cups and that produced a bit too much of dough, so I reduced it for the recipe):
- Pour about 3 cups of all purpose flour to a big deep bowl and pour all salted water:
- Mix flour and water with spatula or fork in circular motions until mixture become homogeneous:
- Then start adding more flour and keep stirring; continue adding flour until mixture should get less liquid (I did mix in about 2 cups of flour that way to get dough to consistency good enough to start kneading):
- Pour a bit of flour on big wooden board (if you don’t have one – just knead on the table which will make it harder to clean, I guess); pour dough over the flour:
Season dough with more flour and start kneading; keep seasoning dough with more flour if it gets sticky:
Here is a video of me kneading the dough, so you can see it in the motion:
- Knead until dough become elastic; then cover it with plastic and leave to settle for 15-20 mins:
- Then flour dough again and knead it several times – after that dough is ready; pick filling of your choice and make some dumplings!