Sponge Cake with ApplesNovember 7th, 2009 in Desserts by Julia Volhina
Autumn always comes with tastes of a harvest: for me autumn tastes like apples, even though you can get them at any grocery shop any time of the year.
Since I’ve got my apples, a big pack of them actually, my house keeps smelling like autumn. During last weeks we had a duck with apples for a dinner, baked apples for a snack and even kompot with apples and cranberries.
I’ve also prepared this sponge cake with apples and light hit of cinnamon last sunday and now I can share this easy recipe with you, so you can enjoy the taste of autumn with me.
- 5 eggs
- 2 apples (better take not sweet ones)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of all purpose wheat flour
- Cinnamon (powder)
- Vanilla sugar (optional)
- Sugar powder for decoration
- 1 tbsp of butter
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: make sure eggs are coming directly from fridge so they are easier to separate, wash apples, one important thing you will also need a mixer and a cake pan (I prefer the springform one):
- Separate eggs (it is easier to use egg separator, those of you who don’t have one may find these instructions helpful):
- Pour egg whites to the mixer bowl and add a bit of sugar (about a tablespoon):
- Turn mixer on the high speed and start beating egg whites (use wire whip for this):
- Keep beating and adding sugar in, spoon by spoon, till you add a whole cup. Continue beating until you get white strong foam:
- Add yolks one by one:
- Continue beating till yolks are mixed in. I also add about 1/3 of teaspoon of vanilla sugar at this point, but it is optional:
- Reduce mixer speed to lowest and add flour:
- Mix batter until flour is in:
- Cut each apple in 6-8 pieces, remove seeds and season them with cinnamon (I also skin apples if I am not sure where they came from):
- Smear bottom and sides of cake pan with butter, warm up oven till 350F:
- Carefully pour batter to the cake pan, help yourself with a spoon or spatula:
- Arrange pieces of apple on the top, make sure apples don’t touch sides of the pan:
- Make sure oven is warmed up till 350F and put cake pan to the oven:
- Bake cake for about 35-40 mins until it is ready (start checking the cake with a wooden toothpick at about 30th minute: pierce it till the bottom, if toothpick comes out clean then cake is ready). Take cake out of the oven and turn oven off:
Set cake aside and let it cool till room temperature completely, then disassemble the pan and carefully move cake to a big plain plate (if cake doesn’t come out easily, use knife or spatula).Put about tablespoon of sugar powder to small sieve (make sure it is completely dry before you do so):
- Shake sieve above the cake to powder its top with a sugar:
- Cut a piece and serve:
please can you also make use of coconut and chocolate as middle layer?
I don’t know, if you wish to try let us know how it turned out 🙂
please can i make use of the normal attachment for cakes? cause i don’t have the wired attachment in my mixer. I actually use a small mixer
I am not sure what the normal attachment is, but as long as it beats eggs up into foam it is good.
Absolutely delicious and very simple! I’m a horrid baker, and have always been uncomfortable with the whole process. Not to mention that most of my attempts would go sour, almost always. Even my eclairs the second time around came out super dry and didn’t rise appropriately. This was one of the ones that was a total success! Can you post more recipes for novices like myself? Thank you!
I made it with plums and cinnamon, it was great!
Followed your recipe and made it an upside down cake. I also put little cubed apples into the batter cause I wanted more apples in it. It was amazing! Thank you for this recipe!!
Thank you for trying it 🙂