Gyros is Greek meat dish (right, it can be not only chicken gyros, but also beef, pork or lamb).
To make it: marinate sliced meat, place it on a tall vertical spit, which turns in front of a source of heat and cut meat out when is ready…
Well I don’t have such vertical spit at home, so I prepare gyros in a different way.
And I like the gyros made of chicken more, so it is why that post about “Cotopulo Gyros” after all. And yes, it is spicy!
- 2 – 2.5 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 onions
- Olive oil (approx. 1 cup)
- Salt by taste
1 tbsp of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp of ground oregano
- 0.5 tbsp of ground coriander seed
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground marjoram
- 0.5 tbsp of chili powder
How to make, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: mix spices in the small bowl, wash chicken on the cold water:
- Slice chicken breasts into stripes:
- Skin onions and slice them into half-circles:
- Put chicken stripes, onions and all spices to the big bowl:
- Pour olive oil:
- Mix everything, cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and put it to the fridge. Keep chicken marinading in fridge for at least 12 hours:
- After 12 hours of marinading, take bowl out of fridge. Warm up a sautéing pan till high temperature, pour chicken with onions to the pan
- Fry it all over till the chicken is ready (approx. 15 mins), don’t forget to stir. Salt by taste at the end:
- Serve with your choice of the side dish, I prefer Boiled Rice:
And of course Tzatziki sauce is good addition for any kind of gyros.