This pasta dish recipe is greatly inspired by Zuppa Toscana you can find in “Olive Garden” here in US.
It has distinct Italian taste (thanks to spices in sausage), creamy parmigiano reggiano sauce and any pasta you want, all though I suggest using whole wheat linguini pasta for healthier option.
Using of hot Italian sausage rather than mild one will make the dish hotter obviously, mixing both is an option too.
Serve Italian Sausage Pasta for dinner or lunch, serve it hot, it tastes better fresh, not reheated. Stated amount of ingredients yields exactly 2 portions, adjust amounts if you need more or less.
- 0.5lb mild or hot (or mix) Italian chicken sausage
- 2 servings of whole wheat pasta
- 1-2 kale leaves
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream or half-half
- 4 tablespoons of grated parmigiano reggiano cheese plus more for dressing
- Oil for frying
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Bring a pot of water to boil, salt water to taste, add pasta in and start cooking (until al-dente):
- Warm up a deep skillet with a bit of oil, peel and chop onion, transfer it to the skillet and fry until lightly colored over moderate heat, stir from time to time:
- Add chopped garlic, fry onions and garlic together for about 1 min:
- Scoop onions and garlic mix to a side of the skillet, add all sausage and flatten it up, using spatula separate it into smaller portion pieces and fry from one side until colored:
- Then flip to another and fry:
- And mix meat with onions and garlic:
- By this time pasta should be cooked already (but check its readiness and cook more if needed), drain pasta using colander and set aside:
- Pour cream (or half-half) in:
- Add 4 tablespoons of parmigiano reggiano cheese:
- Mix everything and let it all cook over slow simmer (adjust heat if needed) for 3 mins or so:
- The chop kale leaves (discard hard stem parts) and add them to the skillet:
- Mix everything and season with salt and ground black pepper to taste:
- Add cooked pasta:
- Mix again and let everything cook together for a minute of two:
- Turn heat off, Italian Sausage pasta is ready:
- Serve it on pasta plate dressed with a bit more parmigiano reggiano cheese: