Savory crepes with no sugar added and lower amount of flour than in traditional crepes due to usage of zucchini pulp – yes, count me in!
Amount of flour specified in the recipe is somewhat approximate. You may end up using more or less depending on how liquid the kefir is.
Generally you don’t want to get batter to thick for crepes to become too thick, but you also don’t want to make it too thin either because it will be hard to turn a crepe over when frying (it may tear).
So if crepe tears when you try to flip it, add a bit flour in before frying next one, or if it turns out too thick – add a bit of kefir to the batter.
Kefir makes crepes very tender, and may be somewhat hard to flip in general, so use smaller frying pan to make the process easier.
- 1.5 lb of zucchini
- 1 cup of all purpose flour (more or less, depending on the batter consistency)
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups of plain unsweetened kefir
- Small bunch of fresh dill (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- Small bunch of fresh parsley (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of oil for the batter plus more for frying
- Salt to taste (about 0.5 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Either grate zucchini on small grate and then squeeze juices out using a cheesecloth (you will only use zucchini pulp in this recipe, so discard the juices), or process zucchini through a juicer, drink the juice and use pulp to prepare these crepes like I did. Move prepare zucchini pulp to a mixing bowl:
- Crack all eggs in:
- Add salt:
- And baking powder:
- Mix everything with a whisk:
- Add chopped fresh dill and parsley:
- Pour all kefir in and mix everything:
- Gradually start mixing in flour spoon by spoon, now amount of flour you need may differ depending on how liquid the kefir is, you don’t want to get batter to thick or crepes will not be thin, but you also don’t want to make it too thin because it will be hard to turn a crepe over when frying (it may tear):
- After you got desired bater consistency, mix 1 tablespoon of oil in:
- Set bowl with batter aside for 20-30 minutes:
Warm up a frying skillet. Smear it with a bit of oil (I just put a bit of oil on a paper towel and brush the skillet with it before frying each crepe). And fry crepes one by one:
- Repeat for all batter:
- Flip the stack of crepes upside down (so crepes prepared first are served first also) and serve with sour cream: