It seems to me that sorrel isn’t something very popular in cooking in this part of the world.
But just in case if you were looking for some recipe using it, here is one: fresh raw salad with sorrel, apple and romaine lettuce dressed with lemon juice and honey.
If dressing seems too sour for you, replace some juice with water and increase amount of honey, that should do the trick.
- Bunch of fresh sorrel
- 1 apple
- 3-4 romaine lettuce leaves
- Lemon juice of one lemon (you will not need all of it)
- 3 teaspoons of honey
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: wash apple, sorrel and lettuce leaves:
- Remove core from the apple (you can skin it too if you wish to do it); julienne the apple (I used thin julienne slicer for this):
- Sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on top of the apple to prevent it from browning (I used quirky citrus spritzer to do that, but you can simply squeeze the juice by hands if you don’t have one):
- Slice lettuce leaves, arrange them in a mixing bowl; discard hard part of leaves:
- Add julienned apples to the bowl:
- Slice sorrel leaves into stripes, and add them to the bowl as well:
- Mix about 1/3 cup of lemon juice with 2-3 teaspoons of honey (or more to taste):
- Pour honey and lemon dressing over the salad:
- Toss salad with few strokes to distribute dressing:
- And serve: