Salad Dnister (just like a river) is a popular in West Ukraine dish originated in Carpathian mountains region, and made its way to other places as it is easy, not expensive and fast to do and very tasty.
Main ingredient of this salad is shredded cabbage, so you can consider it to be a coleslaw with a sausage and peas dressed with mayonnaise.
A bit of a challenge here would be to find suitable sausage. The closest translation to the kind of sausage you need I could come up with is “half-smoked summer sausage”, however I am pretty sure that sounds weird in english, and if you know how to call it better – please let me know. Krakowska or Ternopil’ska sausage will work here, if you can find any of those in Ukrainian or European shop. Sergey Portnov
- 1 lb of white cabbage (about ½ of small head)
- 1/3 lb of smoked summer sausage (e.g. krakowskya)
- 15 oz can of sweet peas, drained
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: drain peas, rinse cabbage with cold water, remove skin from summer sausage:
- Remove stem part from cabbage and shred it finely, put to the deep bowl and season with salt:
- Squeeze cabbage with your hands until some juice appears to make it softer; then set bowl aside for 10-15 mins:
- Slice summer sausage in stripes:
- Add to the salad bowl:
- Add peas:
- Mix and season with mayonnaise:
- Mix again and serve. Salad Dnister can go before main course on dinner or as a separate dish for lunch: