I got probably my last catch of brussels sprouts for this year and had to throw away some of it, that is why I only had three quarter of a pound left. If you manage to get whole pound, just increase ingredients proportionally.
In this recipe tomato can be replaced with tomato paste with water, but I like fresh tomatoes more than canned substitutes.
A note: recipe doesn’t call for salt for a reason: the soy sauce is salty enough.
- 3/4lb – 1lb brussels sprouts, fresh or frozen
- 1 big tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Clean and rinse brussels sprouts, put in pot with water, put on burner, bring to boil and boil for 15 mins:
- Blanch tomato:
- And grate it on big slots of grater (discard stem part):
- Peel and slice garlic cloves:
- Warm up tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, drain water from brussels sprouts and add them to the pan, fry sprouts for 2-3 mins, stir from time to time:
- Add garlic in:
- Soy sauce:
- And grated tomato:
- Season with mustard powder:
- Stir and cook all ingredients together for 5-8 mins more over light simmer:
- Serve warm as a side dish or no meat main course: