Got a can or two of chickpeas stuck in the pantry? Or boiled a cup too many of garbanzo beans and looking for creative way to use them? Try this homemade hummus recipe.
It takes about 5 mins to make and you get a fresh batch of hummus to eat with your favorite vegetables, pita bread, chips or for further use in other recipes.
For this recipe I cooked beans from scratch. If you do the same save some of the water beans are cooked in and use it instead of water in this recipe.
- 1.5lb boiled chickpeas
- 1/2 cup roasted tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from about one lemon)
- 1/3 water or liquid chickpeas were boiling in
- Salt to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Transfer cooked chickpeas to the bowl of food processor or blender:
- Add chopped garlic:
- Pour in roasted tahini:
- Lemon juice:
- Olive oil:
- Water (or liquid in which chickpeas were cooking):
- Salt to taste (start with a half of teaspoon):
- Blend until homogeneous:
- Taste, add more salt or lemon juice you feel it is needed:
- Spoon in to a bowl, garnish with chopped parsley and serve with vegetables or pita bread for dipping: