Beef Stew with Carrots and Bell PepperJanuary 11th, 2009 in Beef, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 2h 30min
Delicious meat main dish with a set of vegetables. You will need to spend a bit of time to get it done, but the result will not leave you disappointed.
Stewed vegetables and tender beef, what can taste better?
- 2-2.5 lbs of beef round eye
- 2-3 tomatoes or 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2-3 middle size carrots
- 1 big yellow or white onion
- 1 bell pepper
- Red pepper (½ teaspoon)
- 4-5 bay leaves
- Sunflower or olive oil
- 2/3 of cup of boiled water
- Salt by taste
How to prepare, step-by-step instructions:
- Prepare the ingredients:
- Dice meat into cubes with 1.5-2 inches side:
- Warm up the frying pan with 2-3 tablespoons of oil, I usually use the sunflower one. Put meat to the good warmed up frying pan. It is important that meat lays in one layer, if your frying pan is too small, split meat into 2 portions and fry them one after another.
- Fry each cube of meat from each side over big heat:
- Move each cube to the pot once it is fried from each side till the brown color. Once you have all meat in the pot. Add 1/3 of cup of boiled water to the pot and bay leaves, salt by taste.
Cover pot with a lid and put pot on the low heat. Make sure water isn’t boiling too much in the pot.
- Skin onion and slice it into half-circles:
- Warm up frying pan with the 2 tablespoons of oil on low heat. Put onion on a pan and fry it till it become yellow (approx. 10-15 mins):
- While onion if being prepared, wash and skin carrots. Grate carrots on a large slots:
- Add grated carrots to the pan where onion is, mix and stew them together for 5 mins:
- Was and dice tomatoes and add them to the frying pan. If you are using tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes, then put 1-2 spoons of tomato pasta to the cup add 1/3 cup of boiled water, mix and put it to the frying pan where onion and carrot are. Add salt and red peppers, mix let it stew for 5 mins:
- Wash bell pepper and clean it from seeds. Slice it on stripes and add to the frying pan. Stew vegetables together for 2 mins. Turn heat under frying pan off:
- Move pan content to the cooking pot where meat is being stewed, but don’t mix. Cover pot with a lid and let vegetables and meat stew together till the moment when meat become soft (for approximately 15-20 mins). Taste the stew juice add more salt if needed
- Serve your Beef Stew with Carrots and Bell Pepper with your choice of a side dish
View all comments