This post is dedicated to support Barbara Harris’s Livestrong with a Taste of Yellow food blog initiative to raise awareness for cancer issues world wide.
One of the most delicious ways to prepare beef is to stew it with vegetables. Stewed meat shares its juices with vegetables which makes the dish not only nutritious but also very tasty. Stews are a bit time consuming to prepare, but it is totally worth it. Serve stews hot without side dish.
In this post I’ve prepared beef stew with potato, bean, carrots and tomatoes. Read step-by-step instructions how to prepare Beef Stew with Vegetables with pictures.
- 2lb-2.5lb of beef (london broil top round, for example)
- 2lb-2.5lb of potatoes (7-8)
- 1lb-1.5lb of wax beans
- 3 carrots
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1 big onion
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- Sunflower or olive oil
- Ground paprika, salt, black pepper
How to make, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Rinse beef with cold water, dry it up with paper towel and dice into middle size pieces 1”-1.5” size. Warm up frying pan with sunflower oil or olive and fry meat over from each size on high heat (you may need to split meat into several portions if you small frying pan):
- Put fried meat with meat juices to the pot on the low heat and salt it. Using cast iron pot would be the best, however if you don’t have it just take any other. If you are frying meat in several portions then wait till all meat is ready before turning the heat on:
- Rinse beans, cut tips and tails off and cut each into 2 parts is necessary, add bean to the cooking pot to the meat and cover pot with a lid:
- Skin potatoes and dice them. Warm up frying pan with sunflower or olive oil and fry the potato over medium heat from each side. Here you can split potatoes into several potions as well, but don’t continue with next steps until all potatoes are fried over:
- Put potatoes to the pot with meat (which is still on the low heat burner), salt and cover with lid:
- Warm up frying pan with sunflower or olive oil. Skin onion, slice into half circles and fry it over low heat till softened:
- Skin carrots, slice them into stripes and add to the frying pan. Fry carrots over stirring from time to time.
- While carrots are being prepared, fill a small cooking pot with water, put it on the burner. When it water become to boil, cut tomato’s skin X-like and put it to the boiling water for 15-20 secs:
- Get tomato out of boiling water, rinse with cold water and remove skin from it. Cut tomato in to 2 parts and remove tail. Put tomato to the blender and chop it till it gets a paste like (if you don’t have blender you can mince it with knife but it gets a bit messy):
- Pour prepared tomato paste to the frying pan with carrots and onions and stew them together on the moderate heat for 15-20 mins. At the end add chopped fresh dill:
- Pour prepared sauce to the pot with meat and potatoes, salt and season with paprika:
- Cover cooking pot with a lid and continue stewing over low heat for 20-25 mins till potatoes are soft. Serve hot without side dish: