Fried Rice with Chicken and VegetablesJune 15th, 2013 in Chicken, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 45min
This is my first attempt on cooking fried rice, one of the website visitors asked for a recipe and I decided to try some out.
I liked the result, but it is hard for me to judge, since fried rice isn’t very slavic food which I am more used to (main trick is to not overcook rice). If you decided to try it too, please let me know how it turned out for you.
By the way, in this recipe amounts of ginger and soy sauce can be adjusted to your taste.
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 1 chicken breast (about 1lb), skinless and boneless
- 2 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 spears of green onion
- Bunch of green beans (about 0.5 lb)
- Fresh ginger root, about 1 teaspoon of chopped one
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 0.5 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Fill cooking pot with water, bring to boil, add rinsed rice in, stir and cook on slow simmer until almost cooked, then pour it to the colander so water can go away and set aside:
- While rice is being cooked, peel ginger root and chop it, you will need anywhere between 1 and 2 teaspoons of it (to your taste):
- Clean green beans, bell pepper and onions, slice each bean in half, each onion in pieces about 2.5inch long and bell pepper in stripes:
- Slice chicken breast into half inch thick stripes:
- Warm up deep frying pan with some oil over moderately high heat; add all chicken in and fry until colored from one side:
- Then flip chicken pieces to another side and fry more, until chicken if colored from all sides (about 4 mins), then move cooked chicken to a bowl, set aside:
- Reduce heat under the pan to medium; crack 2 eggs in:
- Salt them to taste (just eggs, rest of the dish will get salt from soy sauce):
- And then scramble eggs using spatula:
- Add chopped ginger:
- Add sliced green onions, mix and fry for a minute:
- Then add sliced green beans, mix and fry for a minute:
- And add sliced bell pepper, stir everything:
- Pour boiled rice to the pan:
- Add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce:
- Mix everything and cook for about 2 mins:
- Add half teaspoon of sugar:
- Pour cooked chicken along with any juices it produced:
- Mix everything again and cook for 3 mins more:
- Turn off heat and serve:
这个不是炒饭。。。ah its okay, I’ve lived as an American expat in China for several years and this is 100x better than my first attempt.
I have feeling my recipe may be somewhat far away from the original Chinese food, but it tasted pretty nice nevertheless.
hey there Julia,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I really appreciate you giving my request a try, i actually just stumbled upon this, didn’t even realise you cooked it. I’m definitely going to try this out and will let you know.
You’re the best ^_^
Sure, I hope you will like it 🙂
Thank you. I am looking forward to it…
Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I live in Germany now and had a little bit of nostalgia for Chinese Fried Rice (ala New York style). Well now thanks to you I can make this myself. It turned out be just the way I like it.
Big fan of your recipes, so keep up the good job!!! Btw, is there a chance you may try to put up on site Chicken Kiev recipe?
Thank you for giving it a try, I am glad you liked it 🙂
I can give Chicken Kiev a try, but it will take me some time to master it first…