This veal roast is a good choice for romantic or family dinner. Meat can be prepared for cooking in advance, like a night before, and then roast day after. That will make meat even better marinated.
I think veal is the best for this recipe, but since veal is hard to get and can be quite pricey – beef can be used as well. If you choose to cook beef – increase roasting time a bit.
Veal roast can be served warm straight from the oven, as one piece or spiced into portions. It also tastes good cooled down.
- 2.5lb-3lb boneless veal chuck roast
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: I was lucky to get nice piece of veal chuck roast, boneless shoulder part will work too, as well as if you can’t find veal, beef will do too (beef require more time to cook thought):
- Put 2-3 table spoons of mustard to a mixing bowl:
- Peel garlic and press it to the mixing bowl:
- Add spices, ground black pepper and coriander, ½ teaspoon of each and mix:
- Line baking pan with sheet of foil big enough to fold whole piece of meat:
- Generously rub meat with salt from each side and put it to the pan:
- Spread mustard and spices mix on top and bottom sides of the meat:
- Then spread it on sides, make sure whole piece is covered:
- Put top and bottom sides of foil together and fold, then repeat with left and right sides, so meat is in airtight foil envelope. Set it aside to marinate for about 30 mins (you can leave it in fridge over night if needed):
- Warm up oven at 380F, put meat in and roast for about 3 hours (if you like pink inside – reduce time a bit, if piece of meat is bigger – increase it). I don’t like pink so I roast meat until it starts producing clear juice when pierced with a knife (if you need to test readiness – just get meat out of the oven, unfold and try, if more time is needed just fold it back into foil and put to the oven to cook more):
- Once ready, move veal roast to a plate and slice into portion pieces:
- Serve warm or cooled down with your choice of side dish. Left overs can be stored in fridge and used for sandwiches: This veal roast is garnished with boiled redskin potatoes with garlic and sour cream and tomato and cucumber salad.