Layered liver cake, dish of traditional Ukrainian cuisine, is often served as appetizer on various celebrations, in fact I tried it first time on a wedding.
For this recipe I used chicken liver, but beef liver will work good as well.
Carrots and onions stuffing can be skipped all together – it will decrease cooking time and reduce amount of mayo to be used (since layers will not need that much mayo to stick together). However carrots go great with liver.
How many layers you get from this amount of ingredients depends on the size of the frying pan you use. I think 11” frying pan is the best – not too big not too small. The ideal amount of layers for this recipe is about 12; if you get more split them in half and assemble 2 cakes.
- 3/4 lb chicken liver
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 tables spoons of oil + a bit more for frying
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 big onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1-1.5 cups of of mayo
- Fresh dill to taste
- Fresh parsley to taste
- Salt to taste
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients:
- Start off by making stuffing: fry onions with shredded carrots over moderate heat until carrots are soft:
- Rinse chicken livers, remove any fat or connective tissue (and discard it), put cleaned livers to the blander:
- Add half cup of milk:
- Cover with a lid and puree until homogeneous:
- Pour pureed liver to the mixing bowl, crack 2 eggs in:
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil:
- And about tea spoon of salt (or less to taste):
- Mix everything and gradually mix flour in (it will go easier if you use sifter):
- Now it is time to fry liver “crepes”, use frying pan about 10-11 inches in diameter, warm it up and smear it with oil before first crepe, the rest will fry on oil in the batter:
- Pour all mayo to a mixing bowl; peel garlic cloves and press them into bowl with mayo:
- Add chopped fresh dill and parsley, season with salt to taste and mix:
- Now let’s assemble the “cake”. Arrange one liver crepe in the middle of flat plate and spread mayo garlic sauce over it:
- Spread carrots and onion mix over:
- Cover with next crepe and repeat with mayo-garlic and onion-carrots, until last crepe it on, then just finish it up with remaining of mayo mix, get sides also:
- Serve chicken liver cake as appetizer or snack, store left overs in the fridge covered with food wrap: