Stewed Beef with OnionsMarch 27th, 2010 in Beef, Main Dishes by Julia Volhina
Total cooking time: 1h
It felt like a time for some nice beef stew recipe, so here it goes: beef stewed with onions is a dish my mom was always cooking, when I was little. Well, maybe she didn’t put a wine, but besides of that – that is the dish I am used to from my childhood.
It is very easy to do, probably the easiest stew recipe I know, and doesn’t take much time to cook. Wine adds a nice hint to the taste, but it is completely optional: just replace it with a cup of water if you don’t have a cup of dry red wine.
This dish goes good with mashed potatoes or boiled buckwheat as a side dish.
- 2lb of beef round eye
- 3 medium onions
- 6-8 bay leaves
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1 cup of dry red wine (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower oil
How to prepare, step-by-step:
- Prepare ingredients: wine is totally optional, however it brings a nice hint of taste to the whole dish, I highly recommend to add it:
- Peel onions and slice them into half-circles. Warm up skillet with about 2 table spoons of sunflower oil over moderate-low heat, add onions and fry them until softened and slightly yellow in color, then remove from the burner:
- Rinse meat with cold water and pat with papper towel; then slice across into pieces about 1/3 inch wide:
- Beat each piece of meat with meat tenderizer from both sides:
- Warm up a skillet with sunflower oil over moderate-high heat and fry each piece of meat on each side for about 1 mins, just until browned in color:
- Move ready pieces into cooking pot, season with salt, add a portion of black pepper corn and bay leaves and cover with a portion of onions:
- Repeat frying for the rest of the meat:
- Season each layer of meat with salt and cover with fried onions, don’t forget to spread black pepper corns and bay leaves:
- Put cooking pot on medium-low heat burner, add a cup of dry red wine (or a cup of water). Cover cooking pot with a lid and bring the stew to boil, then reduce heat to low:
- Let meat simmer under the lid over low heat until meat is soft (depend of the quality of the meat it may take from 20 mins to 35), then it is ready:
- Potato puree is a good side dish for beef stewed with onions, however my personal choice of side dish here is boiled buckwheat (btw salad on the picture is the Egg and Ham Salad):
I was looking for another recipe of cooking liver, fortunately I got it ,u gave me another option of cooking a liver. Thank you very much for your help . i was interested to another recipes that I got on this site & I am looking forward to get more recipes.
There are few recipes for liver on my website, if you haven’t found them yet, here they are:
There will be also new recipe coming up in next few weeks for beef liver with sour cream.
Great heated up the next day. Yummy-the best beef stew we have ever had-thanks for sharing!
I am glad you liked it, it is one of my favorites as well.