Usually people outside of former-USSR call it Russian Salad, however its original name is Salad Olivier.
This salad was and maybe still is the most traditional dish for the home New Year celebration for russian people. Hope you will like it too.
- 1lb of bologna
- 1 can (15 oz) of sweet peas
- 3 middle size potatoes
- 4-5 middle size carrots
- 5-6 eggs
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- 5-6 middle size cucumbers (pickled with salt not with vinegar, that is important)
- Ground black pepper
- Salt by taste
- Mayonnaise by taste
How to make, step by step:
- Boil carrots and potatoes in advance and make sure they cool till room temperature when you start making the salad. Prepare hard boiled eggs in advance, let them to cool down to room temperature as well. Wash green onions and dill.
- Skin boiled potatoes and dice them into small cubes like it is shown on the photo below:
- Skin boiled carrots and dice them into the cubes of the same size you diced potatoes into:
- Put diced carrots and potatoes into big bowl:
- Open can with peas and remove liquid, add to the bowl:
- Peel eggs and dice them into the same size pieces as carrots and potatoes. Add the to the bowl:
- Dice bologna, add to the bowl:
- Dice pickled cucumbers. It is important to take cucumbers pickled with salt not with vinegar:
- Chop green onions and dill, add to the bowl:
- Mix everything, season with ground black pepper and add salt if you feel it is needed. Add mayonnaise and mix everything again. Put salad to the bowl you want to serve it in. Your Russian Salad Olivier is ready to be served!